Sunday, April 7, 2013

14 Months Old

Elaina is 14 months old now. The poor little girl has actually been pretty sick the last couple of days.

I try to stay level-headed when it comes to my kids being sick, but sometimes being a nurse really makes it hard to be a mom. I am so grateful that I can just call my dad, give him a quick symptom review, and he can tell me what I already know. Make her drink. Watch for a rash. Keep up with her ibuprofen and tylenol to keep that fever from getting back up to 103.
(I love this face.  It reminds me of Chloë at this age.)

When she isn't sick, she is such a happy, fun, perky little kid. Even this morning, when her ibuprofen had kicked in, she was sleepily bouncing on the floor, saying “happy, happy, happy.” And last night, she was sleeping very restlessly, but she rolled over and said “ha-loo-loo, ha-loo-loo-ya.”
She likes playing games.  Peek-a-boo, chasing and tickling, or the good ol' "One, two, three" fall over game.


Much like her sister, she loves things with buttons. I think she could sit in one place and push a button all day long. She also loves stuffed animals and baby dolls. She'll hold them against her chest and pat them, and say “oh, baby.” It is adorable. She loved discovering sand while we were in California. She kept tasting it, but always had the same unimpressed reaction.
She was also quite intrigued with the grass.  She even found a tiny yellow flower.
She is able to communicate all of her basic needs now, which is such a blessing. Sometimes she will still resort to the pointing and grunting, but if I tell her to use her words, she'll let me know what she needs. Hungry: “un-gee,” thirsty: “dir-tee,” up please: “uh pee!” down: “dow,” poopy: “poopy.” She's also great at giving kisses; leaning in with puckered lips and saying “muUUH!” And she'll even throw in the occasional love you: “uh ooo!”

She loves books.  Sometimes she'll even let me read a book at my own pace.  Usually she just can't handle the suspense of waiting to turn the next page, and speed-flips those pages.  But sometimes she will actually sit quitely and study the pictures.  This is one of my favorite parts of our mornings.
And sometimes she wants to read me a book.  


She really likes being outside.  Even if the sun is a little bit of an adjustment this time of year.

She is such a little crowd pleaser, waving and saying “hi!” to everyone. She loves showing off her new walking skills. When we stand her on her feet, and say “can you walk?” she gets a huge grin on her face and looks to make sure everyone is watching. It's funny that she isn't the hugest fan of lots of hugs and kisses. I don't know if it's because her sister is constantly trying to shower her in affection, but she definitely gets annoyed with Chloë's attention.
Surprisingly, her eyes are still pretty blue.  And her eyelashes are so pretty and long now.
The really strange thing about this kid right now is her teeth.  I'm not quite sure what is going on.  She does funny things with her jaw sometimes, and I'm not sure if it's because her teeth might be hurting her.

Two weeks ago, her upper left later incisor broke through her gums.  So she doesn't have her middle top teeth yet, but one of the side ones.  And then, yesterday, we realized that her right upper pre-molar is half-way through her gums.  Her pre-molar!  And she doesn't have her front teeth.  I'm hoping it's just a weird fluke in teeth not knowing what order they're supposed to be in, but I'll admit, I'm slightly concerned with her dental development.  I suppose we'll wait a couple of more months and see what happens before we start worrying too much.  We Botkins are quite late when it come to teeth.

It's kind of fun to look back on what Chloë was doing at this age. I was kind of surprised at how similar some of the pictures are to the ones I have here of Elaina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment