Monday, February 14, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Muffins: Gluten and Dairy Free

This is my go-to recipe for spoiling my dad a bit when he's in town. I know he misses the good old days of carbs and dairy (he admits he sometimes has dreams of bread and cheese), and these turn out surprisingly tasty. While he and my husband and two of my brothers were outside working on getting the tree off my house this weekend, I whipped him up a double batch of these. I am so grateful we didn't have to shell out the $500 quoted to us by the tree removal guys. Thanks, Dad!




Gluten Free and Dairy Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Whisk together the dry ingredients:

1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour (I like to use 1/2 cup white rice flour, and then a mix of brown rice flour, sorghum flour, garbanzo flour, soy flour, and buckwheat flour for the other 3/4 cup.)
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice

In a separate mixing bowl beat together:

1 cup natural applesauce
1/3 cup light olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla
2 eggs
4 tablespoons apple juice, more as needed

Beat the wet ingredients and sugar until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and combine well. Add more apple juice a tablespoon at a time, as needed to make a smooth batter.

Spoon the batter into greased muffin pans. Or use muffin pans lined with paper muffin cups.

Sprinkle with raw sugar, if desired, for a crunchy top.

Bake in the center of a preheated oven until firm and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Test with a wooden pick if you need to. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment