Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thai Coconut Soup

I have been making this soup for a couple of years now, and my husband enjoys it almost as much as I do, I think. I tripled the recipe last week when my family was in town, and I was even able to serve it to my dad, who doesn't eat gluten or dairy. It has an amazing blend of flavors, and a is a hearty and satisfying soup.

I love this soup.

Thai Coconut Soup

serves 4

1 lb chicken breast cut into thin strips or chunks
3 tbs fish sauce
1 1/2 tbs lime juice
1 quart and 3/4 c chicken stock
3 stalks lemongrass, bottom third only, peeled, smashed and cut into 2" pieces (or, the zest of about half a lemon)
1" piece of ginger, peeled and cut into thirds
1/2 cup long-grain rice
1 3/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (15 oz can)
2 fresh red chilies, seeded and sliced thin, crosswise (or a tbs or sweet chili sauce)
3 tbs chopped fresh cilantro, optional

In a shallow glass dish, combine the chicken with the fish sauce and lime juice and set aside.

In a large saucepan bring the broth, lemongrass and ginger to a simmer.

Add the rice, then continue simmering until nearly done, about a quarter of an hour. (I usually use brown rice, and I let it simmer a good 45 minutes.)

Add the coconut milk, bring to gentle boil. Stir in the raw chicken with the lime juice and fish sauce. Let boil for two minutes to cook the chicken, then return to simmer.

Stir in the chilies and cilantro, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment