Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving

We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving week and weekend. My whole family was in town, and all of the Ewers (and former Ewers) came from Oregon and California. I hadn't seen my best friend Shannon in almost a year, and our babies have since grown into toddlers, and had a lot of fun playing together.

Wednesday evening, Josiah and Chloë getting acquainted.

Between our house and my parents' next door, we managed to find a place for everyone to sleep. It was great having everyone together again. Having a Botkin and Ewers Thanksgiving hadn't happened in four years, and it was long overdue.

Josiah and Chloë enjoying breakfast together on Thanksgiving morning.



We had a spread of appetizers while we waited for dinner to start at 2.


The menu was divided up so that everyone brought, cooked, baked, or contributed something. We did a lot of the preparation the morning of, and with two kitchens, it worked really well.

Tim made the mashed potatoes.


Leah sauteed mushrooms.


Dad carved the turkey.

We had Thanksgiving Dinner next door at Mom and Dad's house. They have a big dining room, and we cleared out the living room and set up more tables, so all 21 of us had a place to sit.


Clockwise from left: Joseph Ewers, Isaiah, Katie, Louis Diconti, Mom, Dad, Tom Ewers, Donna Ewers, Leah Olson, and Tim Olson.


Clockwise from far left: Josiah Harlin, Shannon Harlin, Andy Harlin, Laura Ewers, Johanna Ewers, Samuel, Sophie Voisard, Daniel, Bryan, my empty chair, and Chloë.


The toddlers enjoying their dinner.


Josiah wanted to share.


Three generations! Donna, Shannon, me and Mom, and Josiah and Chloë. What a great history of friendship we have.


My fabulous little family.

After everyone's dinner settled a bit, we brought out the pies. (Bottom left is a cherry raspberry pie made from the berries I'd frozen last summer.)


Chloë thought pumpkin pie was just about the best thing ever. Here she is eating her second piece.

One of her first sentences: "I love pie!"

Donna tried to finish the pies, but couldn't quite manage.

And then for the strangest Thanksgiving tradition: Watching "The Fugitive"!

There was a good game of Pictionary.

The next day we had a fun game of Settlers of Catan.


With my daughter, my best friend, and her son. Good times.

Chloë having some "giddyup" time with Tom. We actually have a home video of Tom doing this to me when I just a little bit older.



The kids' favorite toy: the iPhone.


"What do you mean you need your phone back?"

Fun time with the dads.



Getting ready for bed.


Saturday morning.


These two got along so well.


Chloë's last snuggles with Aunt Shannon.

It was a great few days. I really hope we don't have to wait four more years before we can do it again.

1 comment: