Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Elaina's Baptism

Growing up, I attended various denominations and branches of Christian protestant churches. My family moved around the country a few times, and we always did a bit of church hopping before finding one my parents decided we should regularly attend. Presbyterian, Community, Baptist, Charismatic, and other various Non-Denominational churches.

When I married a Reformed man, I knew I would stir up a few controversial topics among my family and old friends. But I also knew that when it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter if our music is centuries old, or written last week. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if our sermon is preached from a man wearing a robe or faded jeans. It doesn't matter if we use the King James version of the Bible, or the NIV. What matters is that we believe in one true triune God, and one Lord and Savior: Jesus Christ.

I never would have guessed I would end up attending a Reformed church that I love. The people there are some of the kindest, most generous, and most sincere people I have ever had the pleasure of befriending.

And we baptize our babies. Because we believe in the promises of God.

Elaina Halcyon Blakey was baptized on April 29. Thanks be to God.



"Elaina will spend the remainder of her life learning to be a Blakey. That’s a life-long project for anyone. More profoundly, she will spend her life growing into her name as a child of the heavenly Father, a sister of her Brother Jesus, walking with the Spirit of adoption. God is true. His Name sticks regardless. God calls her by baptism to be a true witness so that God’s truth will shine in her." -Dr. Leithart
Read the rest of Dr. Leithart's exhortation here.



"As many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ."


The little dress that Elaina wore was the same dress Chloë was baptized in. And it was one of my cute little dresses when I was a baby.


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. And I love this pics, what a sweet little dress!

    ReplyDelete